On sabbatical from
June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015
- Ph.D., Communication Studies, Concordia University
- M.A. Journalism, University of Western Ontario
- B.F.A. Printmaking and Art History, University of Regina
- B.A. English and History, University of Western Ontario
Previously worked in television and radio news, current affairs, and documentaries as, variously, an executive producer, producer, and news director for CBC Television (Saskatchewan), CTV (Saskatchewan), CKX Radio and Television (Manitoba) and CJDC Radio and Television (British Columbia).
Areas of Research Interest
Strategic political communication, sociology of news, field theory, technology and visual culture, public sphere theory,
press clubs in Canada, entrepreneurship, journalism, and the web.
- McLean, James S. (2012 Forthcoming). Inside the NDP War Room: Competing for Credibility in a Federal Election. McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Gérin, Annie and James S. McLean (Eds.). (2009). Public Art in Canada: Critical Perspectives. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- McLean, James S. (2009). The Public Part of Public Art: Technology and the Art of Public Communication. In Annie Gérin and James S. McLean Public Art in Canada: Critical Perspectives (pp. 490-514). Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- McLean, James S. (2005). When Head Office Was Upstairs: How Corporate Concentration Changed a Television Newsroom. Canadian Journal of Communication, (30)3, 325-342.
Reviews and Non-Refereed Articles
- McLean, James S. (2009). PM Harper wanted Parliamentary budget officer Page, but he didn’t expect a renegade. The Hill Times. (989) May 5, 1 and 24-25.
- McLean, James S. (2008). The Messenger is the Message. Policy Options, (29)10, 12-17.
- McLean, James S. (2003). Review of MediaThink by James Winter. Canadian Journal of Communication, 28(4), 489-492.